This is a skilled position responsible for planning efficient and cost-effective cargo movement on all vessel operations. Assists planning department management (PM/APM/PTL) to implement initiatives aimed to improve production and minimize operational delays by coordinating the deployment of equipment and labor for efficient execution of cargo operations.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
Planning – Vessel planner duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Verify all vessel arrival times and disseminate information to management and appropriate operational groups
- Review all vessel import and export cargo information prior to vessel planning to ensure maximum productivity
- Work with OM, TM’s, and Supt’s to determine and schedule labor needs for all vessel operations
- Place Labor orders for ILA employees through the ILA hiring halls
- Use expert knowledge to efficiently and cost effectively plan cargo movement for all vessel operations
- Provide detailed support during active vessel operations to increase production and minimize operational delays
- Review all vessel operational reporting to insure accuracy and maximize profitability
- Send operational reporting to all necessary parties to ensure timely dissemination of all operational information
- Enter and update schedule, cargo, and operational information in QB Apps
- Participate in companywide training and safety initiatives to help ensure all company goals are met
- Assigning the workflow of vessel operations to ILA personnel
- Overseeing the functions of the ILA vessel clerks (with hire/fire authority).
- Any other tasks assigned by the HT management team
- Four-year college degree preferred but not mandatory – Maritime, Logistics or Transportation concentration a plus
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and be able to obtain a Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC)
- Marine terminal experience
- Ability to board and disembark large container vessels from steep gangways
- Competency with Microsoft Office applications
- Competency with Quick Base applications
- Terminal operating systems experience
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude in the work environment
- Strong ability to meet project deadlines
Must be able to work outside, exposed to all weather conditions including heat, cold, and rain. Standing and walking will be required throughout the course of a normal day. The wearing of personal protective equipment including, but not limited to, safety shoes, a safety vest and a hard hat will be required. Other tasks related to cargo management will require sedentary period for computer input and document review. Required to observe all safety and health requirements for container terminal environment and participate in company and WGMA drug screening programs.
Normal core working hours are 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. with exceptions made for activities related directly to vessel operations. Extended hours, days, evenings and weekends common.
HT Planning Manager/Asst. Planning Manager
HT Operations Director/Support Services Director
HT General Manager/Assistant General Manager
Houston, TX (Bayport terminal and Barbours Cut terminal)