Responsible for supervising the daily container yard operation and interfacing with ILA labor. This includes overseeing the safe operation of the equipment used in the handling of containers throughout the operation, including M&R and chassis repairs.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
Oversees daily operation of Container Yard to include:
- Direct supervision of the container yard and M&R area with a visible presence in both yards.
- To ensure that yard policies are carried out by interfacing with ILA walking foremen, ILA personnel, and outside road truck drivers.
- To ensure that all safety policies are carried out and that all equipment is worked in a safe manner.
- To ensure that all outside truck drivers are adhering to all yard policies that are posted in the Container yard and are driving safely.
- Provides direct communication concerning any emergency responses needed between the yard and the Port.
- Does loaded container inspections that have been reported as damaged in the Port’s pads and has them repaired or patched.
- Performs various Data entry and reports as required.
- CY Clerks and W/F are direct reports.
- Training and Safety – Ensures all working areas are safe and that all policies are being carried out. Making sure all employees are working in a safe and effective manner. Coordinates with customers to ensure terminal is operated in a safe and environmentally responsible manner and assists in resolving regulatory and technical issues.
- May perform other duties as assigned by CY Management.
- Four-year college degree preferred but not mandatory – Maritime, Logistics or Transportation concentration a plus
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and be able to obtain a Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC)
- Marine terminal experience…a plus
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 (fifty) pounds occasionally
- Ability to board and disembark large container vessels from steep gangways
- Competency with Microsoft Office applications
- Terminal operating systems experience preferred
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude in the work environment
Must be able to work outside, exposed to all weather conditions including heat, cold, and rain. Standing and walking will be required throughout the course of a normal day. The wearing of personal protective equipment including, but not limited to, shoes, a safety vest and a hard hat will be required. Other tasks related to cargo management will require sedentary period for computer input and document review. Required to observe all safety and health requirements for container terminal environment.
Normal core working hours are 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. with exceptions made for activities related directly to vessel operations. Extended hours, days, evenings and weekends common.
Container Yard Manager and Assistant Manager